The FlexSight experiment is funded by the European Community's project ECHORD++. FlexSight is a research project that involves: the Ro.Co.Co. Laboratory of DIAG (Department of Computer, Control, and Management Engineering Antonio Ruberti at Sapienza University of Rome), which provides expertise in software design and development for robotic perception applications; IT+Robotics, which provides expertise in the industrial robotics domain; and Robox, a company specialized in the development of innovative hardware and software solutions for robotics and control systems.
To learn more about the FlexSight sensor, please contact the project coordinator:
Alberto Pretto email@example.com
The FlexSight experiment aims to provide a robotic solution for the “pick&place” class of applications with rigid and deformable objects. The project focuses on building a prototype smart camera – the FlexSight Sensor (FSS) – which can be integrated in the chassis of an existing robot to empower it with detection and localization capabilities. The main objectives of the FlexSight experiment are:
- Enable a robot to perceive a large and widespread class of rigid and deformable objects in an accurate and reliable way, with a particular emphasis on the computational speed of the whole system.
- Implement a prototype of a compact industrial sensor (the FlexSight Sensor, FSS), that integrates all the required sensing and processing needed to run the detection and localization algorithms inside a robust and small chassis.
- Integrate the FSS within a working system that will be tested in several industrial and logistic use cases.
FlexSight C1: Bringing Bin-Picking Robots To Industry 4.0
The FlexSight consortium is proud to announce the final prototype of the FlexSight C1 device that will be showcased from 19 to 22 June 2018 at automatica trade fair in Munich!
The FlexSight C1 is the final outcome of the FlexSight research project, funded by the European Community’s project ECHORD++. This novel device is a complete solution for the Pick&Place and Bin-Picking tasks: it provides a robot manipulator with state-of-the-art object detection and localization capabilities, enabling the robot to perceive a large and widespread class of rigid and deformable objects in an accurate and reliable way.
The FlexSight C1 acquires both images and high quality 3D scans of the working area to locate the objects of interest. No external computers or external software libraries are required: the C1 is directly connected to the robot it guides during the production cycle. The FlexSight C1 integrates a powerful mini computer that runs state-of-the-art object detection and localization algorithm in real time: just the CAD model of the object of interest is required, to be uploaded through a simple web-based graphical user interface.
We will showcase the FlexSight C1 with a random bin-picking demo at automatica 2018 in Munich inside the Echord++ project booth. We look forward to seeing you!
FlexSight C1 main features
- High resolution and high quality 3D reconstruction
- It handles also reflective and/or black objects
- Powerful CPU+GPU internal mini-computer
- Easy to use Linux Ubuntu OS
- User friendly web-based GUI
- Compliant with most of the standard industrial communication protocols
- Deep learning based object detection and localization algorithms
- It supports the localization of deformable objects
- Compliant with popular vision libraries such as MVTec Halcon and Matrox Imaging Library